Students issue complaint on theater seating policy

By Sandra Masibay

Two NIU students issued a complaint to the Egyptian Theater and University Programming and Activities about inconsistencies in the seating policy of the theater.

Both students were late for the 8 p.m. Thursday showing of “Sunday in the Park with George.” April McLaughlin and Jeff Lundy, both African-American students, arrived about five minutes after the show had started and were told by an usher that seating would not be possible until intermission. They were given temporary seating in one of the back rows.

According to Lundy, five to 10 minutes after the two were seated, an older caucasian woman entered the theater and was seated immediately toward the front. He said the same usher who had seated the woman was responsible for not seating himself and McLaughlin.

After the usher seated the woman, she returned to her seat in back of McLaughlin and Lundy and made no further effort to seat the two.

At this point McLaughlin and Lundy exited the performance to talk to a manager of the Egyptian Theater. McLaughlin said they were told by a ticket manager the manager as in the theater but could not be contacted.

“I think people do it so commonly that (the usher) didn’t even notice. It is institutionalized racism. I don’t know which is worse, covert or overt racism, blatant or not,” McLaughlin said.

“I understood that we could not be seated until intermission. I had no problem with that,but after we had been seated, the usher seats this lady in the front. I was incensed. I felt like, ‘This is another racist moment that I have experienced in DeKalb,'” Lundy said.

Barbara Kummerfeldt, the executive director of the Egyptian Theater, explained that there was no racist intent behind the usher’s actions.

“We try to go along with the policy of the Fine Arts Committee,” said Kummerfeldt, pointing out a sign that was used at the entrance of the show. The sign stated: “Late patrons will be seated at the discretion of the CAB Fine Arts Committee.”

“Maybe there were special circumstances to why the woman was seated immediately. I don’t know. I wasn’t there,” Kummerfeldt said.

“Our volunteers are wonderful people. They are students or community members. I am sorry for any hurt feelings,and I am sure none of them would mean to be purposely insulting or offensive,” she said.

McLaughlin said regardless of what the intent of the usher was in seating the woman first, her feeling that she was slighted on the basis of her race should be taken into account.

“What I would like to see come out of this is better communication between the management, employees and volunteers about the seating policy. I want to make sure that all of the volunteers are re-trained so that the seating policy is consistent,” McLaughlin said.

“Steve Duchrow, UP&A activities adviser, said the policy was you can be seated if a song is not being sung. We entered when a song was not being sung,” she said.

This policy was confirmed by Kummerfeldt who said, “The seating policy has always been that when people come in late, they are to be seated in the back until intermission. In concerns to the balcony seats, people are seated toward the side. The policy has not changed.”

Duchrow extended apologies on behalf of both UP&A and the Egyptian Theater. McLaughlin and Lundy both were given a refund for the show.

“We were season ticket holders last year and we are this year. I am debating whether or not to cancel my subscription. We are trying to support the DeKalb community, but not if it is going to lead to this,” McLaughlin said.

“I understood that we could not be seated until intermission. … but after we had been seated, the usher seats this lady in the front. I felt like, ‘This is another racist moment that I have experienced in DeKalb.'”