NIU involved with passing of new state campus security bill

By JOHN RANALLO

Gov. Rod Blagojevich signed a new bill Friday to promote security in higher education institutions.

This makes Illinois the first state to require all colleges and universities to plan for and practice their responses to all types of emergencies, according to a news release from the governor’s office.

NIU President John Peters agrees with the bill and feels it will be good for the state of Illinois and higher education institutions and believes the bill will help them prepare for emergency situations.

“We were very involved in the development of it,” Peters said. “We all have to prepare for the terrible tragedies that hopefully will never occur. I think [the bill] is a step in the right direction,” Peters said.

The bill, to be enacted on Jan. 1, 2009, will require the development of a campus violence prevention committee and campus threat assessment team. According to the bill, Illinois higher education institutions will be required to develop and practice an all-hazard emergency response plan, as well as a campus violence prevention plan.

Patti Thompson, a spokesperson for the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) said colleges and universities will be planning for many types of emergencies.

“They are not just planning for one type of emergency; they are planning for all hazards,” Thompson said.

Thompson said colleges and universities are encouraged to work with local emergency responders in planning for and practicing for emergencies.

“Just having a plan is never enough. You have to exercise that plan,” Thompson said. The program will help standardize and improve the procedures used in emergency situations, she said.

“The tragedies that occurred on the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois campuses provided an unfortunate reminder that colleges and universities are not immune to acts of senseless violence,” Blagojevich said in the news release.

Blagojevich praised Illinois for its efforts.

“This new law sets Illinois apart in our efforts to make sure students and faculty members on college campuses are as safe as possible,” Blagojevich said in the news release.