Commuters enjoy week of appreciation

By ALAN CESAR

Commuters, campus staff and traditional students all took advantage of the sandwich fixings, cookies and lemonade made available by Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services as part of its Comrade Week. Events every day this week were aimed at showing appreciation for commuters and non-traditional students.

“A lot of students that fall into this category don’t have meal plans [like residence hall students],” said Jill Zambito, director of the university department. “Commuters and non-traditional students have different types of challenges. We want them to know that we do have services available to them.”

Traffic was steady through the lounge, and the expected turnout of 50 people was met by 12:25 p.m. according to Zambito’s tally. The lunch was available from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. All students, not just commuters, were welcome.

“I’ve been here every day this week,” said Victoria Carter, senior marketing major who commutes from Hanover Park. “I wish I would’ve known about this [lounge] before. It would’ve been somewhere to go.”

The final event for Comrade Week is Dinner & a Movie, today from 6 to 8 p.m. at Northern View Community Center. There will be a free dinner and “Bee Movie” will be shown.