Moving forward is the first step toward normalcy

By ANDY PRUSKI

In the wake of any tragedy, it’s difficult to think that life will regain a sense of normalcy.

Outside of personal feelings, it’s hard to ignore the news cameras and the other constant reminders of the Feb. 14 shooting.

It’s important not to forget what happened.

Sometimes, the easiest way to cope with unimaginable situations is to keep it inside and try not to think about it. I know because that is how I thought all last week. Writing a sports column was the last thing I wanted to do.

Sports seemed unimportant – nothing really seemed important.

But after arriving back on campus, it became clear that the best way to deal with the situation is to talk about it and reflect on it – evolving from it and letting it affect you, but not change you.

Forward.

The Convocation Center was filled Sunday for the memorial and it was important for people to be with others.

Friends, family and even strangers were together for one reason. They shared that in common, and it was enough.

While sports still seem insignificant compared to other things, one thing is certain: NIU’s men’s and women’s basketball games this week will be important. Not because of the games themselves, but because they give students a chance to go out and be around each other.

Even if no words are spoken, there is an undeniable connection between all NIU students. The Convocation Center was filled Sunday, and hopefully it will be filled a few more times this week.

After the tragedy NIU has suffered, there may be two results: the community will divide and become introverted, or it will unite and grow stronger as a community.

Should the Convo be filled for NIU basketball games this week, it will be a clear sign that NIU has chosen the right path.

Forward Together.

While it is still hard to think of a basketball game as important right now, there is no denying how big an impact sports made in helping Virginia Tech students.

An unwanted spotlight is on NIU now, and with the basketball games getting more media coverage than NIU has gotten in a while, the Huskie spirit can be showcased.

Forget the basketball game; this is a statement for all NIU students, faculty and alumni.

As NIU President John Peters said, “An act of violence does not define us.”

It’s a time for NIU to define itself.

Forward, Together Forward.