Fun things to do in DeKalb on a college student’s budget

By EMILY GOINS

Other than walking in the park, window-shopping and chasing geese around campus, DeKalb doesn’t always seem to offer entertainment that isn’t heavy on the pocketbook.

However, there are many fun activities in DeKalb County that won’t cost you more than a few bucks.

For those inspired by music, The House Café, 263 E. Lincoln Highway, hosts a free open mic night every Tuesday at 8 p.m. The House Café also features music performed by local bands six nights a week, usually for less than $10 per ticket.

The Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St. shows a variety of movies, plays, shows, art galleries, musicals and concerts that can range in price anywhere from free to $25 per ticket, depending on the show.

The Egyptian Theatre’s spring movie schedule showcases a “Movies through the Decades, 1930-1980” theme. Movies through the decades will run from Saturday until May. Movies before 4 p.m. are $3 per person and movies starting after 4 p.m. are $5 per person. Campus Cinemas, 1015 Blackhawk Road, also shows movies for $4 per person.

The NIU physics department’s observatory, sometimes labeled “the cheapest date on campus,” can be just that. For no cost at all, NIU students are free to visit the telescopes and take public tours on Tuesday and Thursday nights. The observatory is located in Davis Hall on Normal Road.

For those who like art and history, DeKalb County offers a variety of local museums that might spark interests for little or no cost. The Sycamore Historical Society and Museum, 308 W. State St., Sycamore, offers a wide range of fascinating history and artifacts from the surrounding areas.

Built in 1879, the Ellwood House Museum, 509 N. First St., is the historic home of DeKalb’s famed barbed wire inventor, Isaac L. Ellwood. Also famous for contributions to barbed wire in DeKalb is Joseph F. Glidden. The Glidden Homestead, 921 W. Lincoln Highway, draws attention to Glidden’s economic contributions to the area as well as the nation.

On campus is the NIU Art Museum, in Altgeld Hall, which offers a variety of contemporary art and a lyric opera collection.

Dancers can find a release at Community Ballroom Dance Night hosted by Just Make It Happen and the DeKalb Park District at the Hopkins Park Community Center. This event is being held on Friday evenings and tickets are $12.