Energy drinks may be more harmful than many students think

By KEVIN KOVANICH

Recent deaths linked to the Red Bull energy drink have some wondering how safe the beverage is to consume.

Energy drinks are doing more harm than good to students, said Martha O’Gorman, nutrition consultant for NIU Recreation Services. The drinks are a staple in some college students’ lifestyles, but few people actually know what these beverages contain, and students should be more aware of what they are drinking, she said.

“Beverages marketed as energy drinks may not provide metabolic energy and may not provide replenishing fluids,” O’Gorman said.

Energy drinks stimulate students because of excessive amounts of caffeine, she said.

“The active ingredient in energy drinks is caffeine,” O’Gorman said. “Caffeine is a stimulant; it is not a source of energy.”

Using energy drinks as a substitute for an actual meal is not advisable, she said.

“The use of an energy drink instead of food may provide a temporary feeling of energy, but will likely be followed by a more intense feeling of fatigue,” O’Gorman said.

There is little proof that the ingredients in energy drinks actually work, she said.

“The bottom line on the ingredients shows mostly caffeine, a little sugar and selected amino acids, as well as water-soluble vitamins and various other compounds of interest,” O’Gorman said. “There is weak scientific basis for including these other ingredients.”

Donna Martin, head coach of NIU’s softball team, said college students should avoid consuming energy drinks.

“As far as I know, there is nothing in these drinks that someone could not get from a balanced nutritional diet, proper sleep habits and a multivitamin,” Martin said. “If what they are looking for is energy, then good alternatives would be complex carbohydrates, such as multi-grain breads, popcorn, oatmeal, shredded wheat, crackers and fruits such as apples, bananas, pears and berries. Fruit juices are better than fruit drinks.”

Martin said the “5-Hour Energy Drink” may be better than other drinks, but students should still be cautious.

“It seems it would be better in the fact that it doesn’t contain the sugar that some of the other energy drinks contain,” Martin said. “However, it still contains quite a dose of caffeine for its proportionate size.”