Harry Potter fans will dance the night away

By KEVIN KOVANICH

Harry Potter fans can dance all evening with their fellow muggles.

Fans of the literary icon are invited to the Muggle Ball from 7 to 10:30 p.m. Dec. 1, in the Altgeld Hall auditorium. Students are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite character from the bestselling book series by J.K. Rowling. Musical entertainment will be provided by Remus Lupins and Sound Force VDJ’s.

Activities for the night include a Harry Potter raffle, a silent auction to benefit NIU Friends of the Library and a drive to collect new and gently used books for children in DeKalb County. Participants will receive one raffle ticket for every book they donate.

Mark Pietrowski, external programming coordinator for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said students who love Harry Potter will have a great time at the Muggle Ball.

“It’s a time where anyone can dress up as their favorite Harry Potter character,” Pietrowski said. “It’s something they will totally enjoy.”

Earlier that day, NIU hosts the Winter Muggle Academy for students grades four through 12 from noon to 5:30 p.m. Students will have the chance participate in book discussions and interactive activities, Pietrowski said.

Karley Adney, assistant professor of English at University of Wisconsin-Marathon County, heads the Winter Muggle Academy and encourages students to attend the ball

“The Muggle Ball is a new and exciting tradition at NIU,” Adney said. “It’s an alcohol-free environment that, although Harry Potter-themed, is open to everyone.”