Residence hall lockdown in effect for Homecoming weekend

By KEVIN KOVANICH

Students returning to their residence halls after 7 p.m. Thursday may have had a rude awakening when they realized that they needed identification to enter.

Students were required to show their NIU OneCard and Hall Entry Card when entering their residence halls after 7 p.m. Thursday. This policy will also be in effect this Homecoming weekend between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

Students who do not have the proper identification will have to wait for a staff member to escort them into the building to verify their identification.

Kelly Wesener, executive director for Housing and Dining, said the reason for this is safety.

“With the large number of visitors on our campus, we want to be certain that our halls remain secure, with only our residents and their guests having access into the building.” Wesener said. “The safety of our residents is always our primary concern.”

If students want to bring a guest into the residence halls between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. Friday or Saturday, that person must register at the front desk. The guest must provide an NIU OneCard, a state driver’s license, a state picture ID card, a military picture ID card or a passport to enter the residence halls.

Guests without one of these forms of identification will not be admitted into the halls. Unregistered guests found in the residence halls after 7 p.m. will be asked to leave and will not be readmitted for 24 hours.

Students living in Stevenson will only be allowed to walk from Stevenson North to South with a valid reason.

“Students who have a specific destination across the building will be allowed access through the main street.” Wesener said. “Visiting guests would need to be escorted at all times.”

The residence hall hours will return to normal beginning at 7 a.m Sunday.