Light Pollution plays Target

By Andy Mitchell

On Aug. 23, Target, 2555 Sycamore Road, played host to the indie-rock band Light Pollution and electronic artist Son of Starkiller. The two bands played at opposite corners of Target as part of a promotional event.

According to Store Manager Carol Van Horne, Target has hosted events like this for 10 years in college towns across the country.

“Last year, [Target] did this in 10 different college towns, including Purdue. This year, we’ve increased it to 15,” Van Horne said.

The musical acts in the store were a feature unique to DeKalb as well. Usually, the store offers raffles and drawings, but seeing that the store employed a few musicians,

Van Horne decided to give the stage to them instead.

“I’m very excited about them playing,” she said.

The store remained open from 10:30 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. Freshmen were chartered by bus to the store.

Tina Jackson, a freshman journalism major, shopped with freshman Alison Ohl, both buying “stuff I forgot to get my mom to buy.”

Freshman business student Sammie Smith did the same, getting clothes hangers and posters for her new dorm room.

“This is kind of nice,” she said. “I would come here again if they put it on next year.”

The musicians enjoyed themselves as well. “I’ve always wanted to play in Target,” said drummer of Light Pollution Matt Evert who jokingly added, “I would never play in a Wal-Mart.”