Winter checks out early this spring

By Matthew Rainwater

Goodbye, winter.

Unseasonable warmth has enveloped DeKalb, with Sunday’s high reaching 77 degrees, only three degrees shy of the record set in 1910. Monday’s high reached 71 degrees, with 69 percent humidity.

With days left to spare in March, the weather is well ahead of schedule, said Gilbert Sebenste, NIU staff meteorologist.

“The normal high that we usually should be experiencing right now is about 52 degrees,” Sebenste said. “It’s been about 25 degrees above normal the past few days.”

With the hope that winter has finally gone into hibernation, many students have taken advantage of the recent warm weather.

Ashley Saville, a sophomore communication major, took the opportunity to play baseball for three hours on Sunday with several of her friends.

“I also took a midnight run around the campus dorms, since it felt so nice at that time,” Saville said. “There were actually a lot of people out. It was totally gorgeous out.”

Frisbee made its triumphant return to campus grounds with the warm weather. Brayton Cameron, a post-graduate math education major, played frisbee with his friends in front of the King Memorial Commons late Monday afternoon.

“I took off from work and rode my bike to campus. I’m currently neglecting some homework, and I’m supposed to be reading right now,” Cameron said. “I’ve been playing for a half-hour so far. It’s awesome.”

Usually, the weather transition from winter to spring is a positive thing, the Counseling and Student Development Center at NIU said.

After winter, when warm weather comes, people get outside, exercise and enjoy longer days, things which have a tendency to improve a person’s mood, the Counseling and Student Development Center at NIU said.

Also, even though students generally may feel better because of the weather change, the Counseling and Student Development Center advises students remain cautious of stress and anxiety that may arise from work piling up as the semester comes to an end.