Appreciation Week honors NIU commuter students

By Ryan Strong

DeKALB | Commuter students gathered in the Holmes Student Center Wednesday for bingo and coffee in celebration of Commuter Appreciation Week.

The recently created Department of Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services organized Commuter Appreciation Week in an effort to support students commuting to NIU. The week, which began Monday and ends Friday, offers a variety of events geared toward commuters.

“We want to let commuters know that we’re here and have services for them,” said Troy Melendez , director of the Department of Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services.

According to Melendez, about one-third of NIU students commute from neighboring cities. The office, located in HSC Room 23, was created to give those students a place to stay.

“When you have a class at 8 a.m. and another at 2 p.m., you don’t have anywhere to go in between that time,” he said.

Amenities in the department include a microwave, television and couches available for students.

“We want students to feel at home,” Melendez said.

Although the department targets commuter students, all students are welcome.

“We don’t exclude any students. Everyone is welcome,” he said.

Wednesday’s Commuter Appreciation Week event featuerd bingo with prizes, including gas cards.

The program attracted commuters such as Austin Davies , a senior political science major from Rockford.

“It takes me about 40 minutes [to get to NIU],” Davies said. “I commute to save money.”

Some students commute from as far as the Chicagoland area.

“I commute from Palatine,” said sophomore undecided major Dhiren Khatii.

Melendez said the commuter and non-traditional student services office will be getting a face lift within the next few weeks.

“The Student Association gave us money to allocate on new furniture and amenities for the students,” he said.

Commuter Appreciation Week continues until March 23.