How to prevent, protect from criminal battery

By Katie Trusk

Editor’s note: This is the conclusion of a two-part series focusing on victim treatment and battery prevention.

Everyday, heroes can be found in those who help others. And while battery is an everyday occurrence, it can also be prevented.

Protection

Steps can be taken to protect oneself from battery. There are steps as well for an offender to be prosecuted.

“The first thing is if when they become a victim of domestic battery, they should contact the police right away,” said DeKalb Police Chief Bill Feithen. “They should seek the services of domestic violence programs. DeKalb County is fortunate to have a domestic violence program whether they’re single or married with kids. Either Safe Passage or the State’s Attorney’s Office, depending on the situation will work with them.”

Victims can also work with the police to get a higher level of protection.

“With an order of protection, they’re not 100 percent guaranteed,” Feithen said. “It sends a message to the offender and offers the victim a certain level of peace of mind. They’re not a guarantee of safety. You still have to use common sense.”

Prevention

There are certain actions officers and victims can take once a battery has been committed to maintain a peaceful situation.

“In domestic battery, there’s a whole protocol of how long [offenders] have to stay away,” Feithen said. “If you’re going to go back for belongings, it’s best to have a neutral third party. Sometimes we recommend a police officer is present,”

It is not unusual for an officer to be present during a trip back for one’s belongings, Feithen said.

“Have greater awareness and good security,” Feithen said. “Don’t open the door. Don’t rely on a chain lock. The city mandates deadlocks on apartment doors for a reason. They can slow down the offender enough so a call can be made before someone is seriously injured or killed.”

Even though battery is dealt with on a day-to-day basis for police and victims, Feithen said crime prevention is possible.

“A variety of things can be done to stop battery,” he said. “Friends and family, whoever is with someone when they get agitated, act out in violence, it is incumbent on them to do whatever they can to keep them from acting out. Don’t encourage friends and family who have trouble controlling their anger.”

When friends and family get involved, there is a possibility for battery crimes to decrease.

“Certainly, family and friends need to make sure if someone has an anger management issue, they do what they can to get that person into counseling,” Feithen said.

Campus safety

Students can also help prevent battery on campus by preventing visitors from acting out violently.

“We see it all the time: Visitors come out and they’re away from home. They drink, get crazy and act out,” Feithen said. “They seem to lose control and think they’re going to do what they want to do and go back home. Students at risk get hurt along with people involved. They get dragged into it and have to face NIU judicial.”

To prevent problems, students can be more particular about who they invite to visit NIU.

“Students with friends and family who tend to have problems, don’t invite them out here,” Feithen said. “Say, ‘Until you get under control, I’m sorry.'”