Groups strive to recruit and maintain Hispanics

By Sandra Masibay

Census reports reviewed by the University Resources for Latinos (URL) expect the Hispanic population to be the largest minority group in existence by the year 2000.

It is this growing number that challenges the URL to be competitive and aggressive in devising programs to recruit and maintain Hispanic enrollment.

There are approximately 800 Hispanic students enrolled at NIU. In five years, the numbers have doubled from 2 percent to 4 percent of total enrollment. Retention and graduation rates are up to above 40 percent from a previous 25 percent retention rate.

Efforts made by the URL, the admissions office, CHANCE and campus student organizations provide programs that recruit and support minority students.

The URL is active in its commitment to higher education through the “Visitation Group” program. The program invites students of all ages to the university to see firsthand what a college campus looks like.

For many students, it is the first time they will see a college campus and they are very excited, URL Director George Gutierrez said.

Program participants are as young as junior high students. High school and community college students are involved in the program as well.

When students visit, the numbers are always large, Gutierrez said. The average number of students is 45, although a group of 90 is not uncommon, he said.

“Last year in April, a group of students in junior high performed to Latin rhythms and asked the audience to join,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez said the visitation program is important in establishing relationships with future college students.

“Some of the students (involved in the program) write myself and (NIU) students saying they enjoyed the speakers and visiting the college.”

Some of the campus organizations that speak and help host students are members of Dance Quente, El Pueblo Unido, Alpha Psi Lambda, Sigma Lambda Beta, Zeta Sigma Chi, Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS) and Voice of the Latino Student Alliance (VALE).

Dance Quente has entertained students with dance performances, OLAS has held parent’s pot lucks and students have spoken and served as role models as part of an attempt to familiarize students and parents to NIU life.

“To recruit students, you have to do a number of connected events. You have to organize. You need the impact of the (NIU) students,” he said

Gutierrez said he thinks the interaction between college students and the younger students is vital to NIU’s success in recruiting Latinos.

Sterling High School students will be the next group to visit NIU on October 14. About 45 students will be attending.

“To recruit students, you have to do a number of connected events. You have to organize. You need the impact of the (NIU) students. Some of the students write saying they enjoyed the speakers and visiting the college.”