Dressing for success to get hired after the interview

By Herminia Irizarry

DeKALB | Once the hangover of four years in college wears off and a diploma is received, the inevitable job quest begins.

The morning before an interview, the question remains: What do I wear?

The importance of a first impression is often overlooked, especially for job interviews. The importance is not only in what a candidate says or how he or she acts, but also in how a candidate looks.

“In an interview situation, a candidate’s appearance reflects how serious that candidate is about the employment opportunity,” said Allstate spokesman Eric Scott.

Greer Blaustein, a sophomore theater studies major, agreed with Scott.

“The first impression in an interview really makes or breaks how people perceive you,” Blaustein said. “It’s almost impossible to reverse it.”

When planning an outfit, students should research the company and its maxims, as well as the position for which they are applying. Once one has an idea of the company’s ideology, they can adjust their attire accordingly.

“It doesn’t matter where you are applying,” said Patrick O’Connell, director of communications for Vogue. “Each company has an environment that you have to reflect.”

Justin Zuccollo, a sophomore theater studies major, offered some additional guidelines.

“You should dress respectable but not uncomfortable — business casual,” he said. “But it depends on the job. If it is a really important interview, then you should wear a suit and a tie.”

Blaustein, however, further tailored Zuccollo’s suggestions.

“You don’t have to wear an evening gown to apply at McDonald’s,” he said.

Regardless of where students are applying, or what for, their manner of dress reflects a candidate’s respect for the position and the employer.

“If you took the time to prepare for an interview, it shows that it was important to you,” Blaustein said.

Although picking out a professional outfit can be complicated, when in doubt, ask for advice.

“If I ever doubted what I should wear, I would just ask my girlfriend,” Zuccollo said.

Herminia Irizarry is a City Reporter