What it means to graduate in December

By Carlene Eck

DeKALB | With the end of the fall 2006 semester quickly approaching, December graduates are preparing to say “sayonara” to NIU.

Despite popular belief, December graduates don’t get the short end of the stick compared to spring graduates in the job market, said David Klepitsch, acting associate director of campus and employer relations.

“There are less positions in December, but there are also less people applying in December,” Klepitsch said. “In the spring there are more job openings, but more applicants.”

Although December graduates have a good chance at finding a job, Klepitsch said job search plans for December graduates will differ from spring graduates.

“A job search plan maps out everything you need to do between now and graduation and ideally sets specific goals you need to accomplish to stay on track,” Klepitsch said.

Klepitsch suggested students graduating in December start early in the job-search process. Organization and taking advantage of job-search opportunities are two areas on which Klepitsch said December graduates should focus.

“All students and alumni are encouraged to attend the Career Services job fairs,” Klepitsch said.

Klepitsch said students who have already graduated should still return to future job fairs to explore the job market or find a new job.

Two December graduates took advantage of the job fairs held by Career Services and found value in the networking opportunities.

“I attended the job fair and tried to really show interest in the companies I was talking to,” said Hiba Abdallah, a senior marketing major. “I smiled, talked confidently and shook hands firmly.”

Abdallah said she has had a job lined up since last fall, and she “spent a lot of time tweaking my resume and making sure I was prepared to ask and answer questions with the interviewers.”

Kyle Bailey, a senior marketing major with an emphasis in sales, had a similar positive experience with the Career Services job fair.

“Like many of my friends, I found the jobs I’m looking into at the Career Fair,” Bailey said. “This is a great place to find jobs and internships.”

Bailey also offered advice to others that may be December graduates in the future.

“Advice I would give to future grads is to research before attending these career fairs and find companies you are really interested in and want to work for,” Bailey said. “Don’t settle for a job you don’t like.”