SA considers public votes

By Christopher Norman

DeKALB | A plan to record who votes on what in the Student Association was denied Sunday night.

Joe Porter, a District Three senator, spoke on a bill to amend the bylaws to include roll call votes. The proposed bill would have required any votes dealing with funding or salary increases to be recorded in a roll call vote. He said it would be good to have any votes dealing with student funds to be recorded so they can see who is spending it.

“That’s money that we are spending and we’re not being held accountable,” Porter said.

Some senators said they did not see the purpose of the bill. They said a roll call vote can be requested any time before a vote. Many agreed it would make the votes personal, especially if they are involved in an organization asking for funding.

Others said they didn’t like the idea of roll call voting because it could be used to hurt them in elections.

Porter said the bill was not designed to hurt or help a candidate in elections, but to provide transparency to the student body so anyone interested could see what their representative voted for.

When the motion was called to question, Kurt Messer, a District Four senator, asked if they could vote by roll call. There was some laughter among the senate and staff due to the nature of the vote. After adding up the votes, the “nays” prevailed and the bill was denied.

The senate also voted to reallocate money for Greek Row security. The money was allocated early this spring, but it was done incorrectly. Originally, the Greek Row security fund was taken from the campus security fund. Dan Leonard, director of Greek Affairs, said money from the campus security fund can only be used for University Police. The firm used in the Greek Row security program is private.

No new money was spent. The money from the campus security fund was refunded, and $5,000 was reallocated to the Interfraternity Council.