Cab plans to keep NIU in stitches

By Sandra Masibay

Homecoming events planned through the Campus Activities Board are planned to be fun as they are adaptable to just about everyone. Whether it’s racing down the East Lagoon in a recyclable boat or rapping on an open mike, Homecoming is definitely for you. Even Barney will be gracing NIU with his purple and green presence.

If it is music or the opportunity to share your musical talent with others, there is plenty of opportunity for self-expression at “Open-Mic” in Diversions, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Oct. 11.

If you are wary of letting “amateurs” entertain you for the whole evening, CAB concerts presents Primus with the Melvins at 8 p.m. on Oct.13 in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

Another CAB concert, Radiohead and Belly, will take place at 8 p.m. on Oct. 16 in the ballroom.

For a more sophisticated sound, turn your auricles to the Egyptian theatre where the “Don Giovanni” Minnesota Opera will be performing at 8 p.m. on Oct. 14.

Die-hard jazz fans will be pleased to know the Oct. 15 nooner will be “The Jazz Losers” in the King Memorial Commons.

Clyde Brown, DeKalb native will be sharing his sounds for the Oct. 12 nooner in the commons.

For those seeking a more visual avenue to express their wild and daring side, the downtown banner contest, “Paint the Town” will be between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Oct. 11.

Don’t get the impression that Homecoming will drain your brain through creative exercises. There is plenty of laughter in the lineup.

On Oct. 10 at the West Lagoon comedian/musician, Pat McCurdy, will entertain audience to the backdrop of members of NIU’s football team and cheerleading squad. Don’t miss this pep rally!

More laughter and excitement will flow through the student center ballroom where comedian Chris Titus will host the homecoming talent show. Titus has opened up for Kenny Loggins, Eddie Money and Laura Brannigan. He has also appeared on MTV’s “Half Hour Comedy Hour” and “21 Jump Street.”

Additional laughter is available on Oct.16. The “Homecoming Comedy Extravaganza” will take place in the NIU Music Building at 6 p.m. This event is sponsored by the Black Graduate Student Association, CAB Mid-Level Speakers, Black Student Union & Omega Psi Phi.

Keep your eyes open for additional CAB events such as, Co-Rec Softball, the Oct. 12 Surprise Event, 3-Event Basketball, Royalty Voting, Western Dress-Up day, Red and Black Dress-Up day and Yell-Like-Hell.

“On Oct.16 the “Homecoming Comedy Extravaganza” will take place in the NIU Music Building at 6 p.m. This event is sponsored by the Black Graduate Student Association, CAB Mid-Level Speakers, Black Student Union & Omega Psi Phi.