Learn to schmooze at campus workshop

By Erin Wilson

DeKALB | Students interested in learning tips and tricks to make it in the business world may find their answers Wednesday evening.

A “schmoozing” seminar, created by FUTURE, will take place in the Campus Life Building, Room 100 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

FUTURE, the Student Internship Association affiliated with Career Services, is a student organization that facilitates interaction between NIU students and potential employers.

The Schmoozing Workshop is an interactive, two event seminar designed to prepare students to network in an unstructured atmosphere.

“The reality of networking is that you can’t be shy,” said Theresa Kiel, FUTURE historian and a junior art and visual communication major.

Employers will discuss appropriate business party and networking attire and discussion topics. Career Services representatives also will review the value of networking and answer questions students may have.

“Schmoozing involves pursuing opportunities to make an impression on individuals who can benefit your career,” said Kristin Kowynia, FUTURE vice president of employer relations and a senior marketing major. “The best jobs or the most desired jobs are filled through networking because it sets you apart from other potential employees. Networking allows you to form an instant connection and build personal relationships with individuals who can help your career.”

A second event, a cocktail party, will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Nov. 8. There, students will put to use everything they learned the week before. They will network with real employers such as Northwestern Mutual Financial Network, Fastenal, OfficeMax, Target, Cintas and Sherwin-Williams.

“At past cocktail parties, students have been offered internships and positions with employers that attended the event,” Kowynia said.

As for the dos and don’ts of networking?

“Everything your grandma would approve or disapprove of applies,” Kiel said. “Eye contact, shaking hands and giving your business card are dos. Never discuss politics, leave your cell phone at home and don’t wear anything provocative.”