Latin Resource Center to hold “Latino Lock-In” Friday, Saturday

By Stephanie Kohl

DeKALB | The Latino Resource Center will host a “Latino Lock-In,” from 9 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday.

While many students may spend little time on campus Fridays, the LRC has rented out Anderson Hall to “lock in” students for an evening to promote Latino unity.

“An event like this has never really happened here,” said Jaime Garcia, LRC program coordinator. “It offers a chance for Latino unity.”

The doors to Anderson Hall will open at 9 p.m. and all students participating in the lock-in must be in by 11 p.m. Many activities are planned to keep students busy all night.

Volleyball, basketball, soccer and dodgeball will take place in part of the gym. Projectors will also be aimed at the walls of the gym, showing movies and offering a chance to play video games on the large gym walls throughout the night.

In addition, the Anderson Hall pool will be open from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m.

Pizza and lemonade will be available at 1 a.m. and afterward, students will have time to relax with friends or prepare camp to get some sleep in the gym.

Students will need to bring their own sleeping bags or air mattresses to sleep on. Participants are also encouraged to bring their own movies, video game systems, video games and board games, Garcia said.

The event is free and open to all students as part of Latino Heritage Month. Students can park in the lot behind Anderson Hall and will need to show an NIU OneCard to be admitted to the lock-in.

Stephanie Kohl is a diversity beat reporter for the Northern Star