Adding fun to the run

By Evan Thorne

Running … for fun? The concept may be alien to some people, but for the NIU Striders Club, it’s just another part of the day.

Amanda Kromphardt, junior meteorology major and president of Striders, founded the club after her freshman year as a way to meet other runners at NIU.

“About two summers ago I sat down and drafted the constitution,” Kromphardt said. “I was on the cross country team, but I wasn’t on scholarship, and I wasn’t really very good, but I still liked to run and knew there were a lot of other runners out here.”

Since its inception, Striders has recruited roughly 30 students to their e-mail list. Earlier this year, an average of 10 people would take part in each of its 30-minute “Fun-Runs” around campus, starting at the King Memorial Commons every Tuesday and Thursday at 5 p.m.

Originally, membership was low because the runs were on Saturday mornings and people weren’t willing to give up their sleep to run. Kromphardt said changing the day has helped attendance, but that many students don’t know where the MLK Commons is.

“We’re thinking of moving it to outside the Rec,” said Kromphardt. “I keep having people ask me where the MLK Commons is, and the Rec Center is closer to the dorms, so it would probably make things a lot easier.”

Sophomore communication major Eric Gilbert took part in the group earlier this year.

“I joined because I was looking for some kind of physical activity to do,” Gilbert said. “My friends were doing it too, so I figured I’d give it a shot. It was enjoyable; people were friendly.”

To keep things interesting, Striders has about seven regular routes ranging from three to three and a half miles. Always starting from the MLK Commons, they have run down by Prairie Park, to downtown DeKalb and to a variety of destinations on the north side of campus.

“If we had a lot of people show up for a run, we would usually split into two groups, a faster one and a not-so-fast group so we didn’t scare anyone away,” said Kromphardt.

Jennifer Kincaid, sophomore marketing major and treasurer, said the group is a nice alternative to working out alone.

“It’s a good way to meet people, make friends, get some social connections and it’s a really fun time,” said Kincaid. “You get to know the whole area as well too. If you like running, but you don’t like running by yourself, it’s a good motivator to keep you running.”

The Striders members plan to continue running next semester, but the day, time and place of the meetings has yet to be decided on.