Huskies head to WMU for 3

By Sean Connor

With 15 MAC games remaining, the NIU softball team has a chance to make its mark in the conference this weekend by playing MAC-leader Western Michigan.

At 2 p.m. Saturday in Kalamazoo, the Huskies (15-16 overall, 3-5 MAC) will have their first chance to whittle down WMU’s four-game lead in the MAC West. The final game will be played at 1 p.m. Sunday.

“It’s too early to tell how big this game is,” said NIU coach Donna Martin. “We’re going to go play on the road, and it’s going to be tough because they’re playing real well.”

WMU (19-10, 7-1) is looking to win 20 games for the fifth straight season and is led by Krysten Shumaker of Auburn, Ind. The sophomore ranks No. 30 in the country and leads the MAC with a 1.16 ERA.

WMU’s pitching staff has allowed a MAC-low .188 opponent batting average and 135 hits thus far.

NIU’s bats have also been hot. The Huskies have scored 25 runs in their last four games and began Wednesday’s game against Loyola-Chicago by scoring six runs off 11 hits in the first two innings.

Sophomore Michelle Nendza continued to heat up for NIU from the plate after breaking out of a 0-10 slide Tuesday. The Palos Park native went 3 for 4 with two runs scored and an RBI.

Versatile NIU freshman Ashley Clement continued to have a solid bat as well. The Moline native collected two hits and two RBIs in her first two at-bats Wednesday before moving from left field to catcher.

“We wanted to get Ashley some time behind the plate and get Elyse [Jamrozy] some rest,” Martin said. “Elyse actually called the game from the dugout, and we were also able to get [freshman] Renee Dearborn and [sophomore] Jenna Mitchell some time in the field and at-bats, which is important.”