DeKalb takes proactive approach to gangs

By Andrew Schlesser

More than 500 people attended a town meeting Wednesday night at the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St., concerning gang issues and last week’s homicide.

The DeKalb Police Department and DeKalb School District emphasized the importance of community awareness and parental involvement in keeping DeKalb youths from gang affiliation.

DeKalb Police Chief Bill Feithen opened the meeting by telling people DeKalb’s crime statistics have remained consistent regardless of the growing community.

“Tragedies impact the community,” he said. “The death of Jayson Martin is not only a concern of the police, school board and the Martin family, but of the whole community.”

In an attempt to educate the residents on gang issues, DeKalb Police Detective Bob Redel gave a presentation explaining gang culture, how to spot it and what to do about it.

DeKalb Police Lt. Jim Kayes spoke in depth about the homicide, attempting to dispel misunderstandings and rumors.

“It was pretty violent, but it was also very quick,” Kayes said.

The school district addressed efforts to alleviate parents’ concerns about the safety of their children.

Superintendant Paul Beifuss addressed policy issues concerning students involved with gangs in schools and what the administration is doing to keep students safe.

“We don’t tolerate any gang-related activity at school,” Beifuss said. “Students involved in gang-related activity will be arrested and charged.”

One student at DeKalb High School has been suspended for gang-related issues, Beifuss said.

He said the issue of students in gangs is a community issue and should be dealt with collectively.

“That’s why this is our issue, because these are our kids,” Beifuss said.

Schools are training staff, tightening security, adding more security personnel, continuing K-9 sweeps of lockers and the parking lot, installing video cameras and keeping all doors locked to keep the students and 200 staff members at DeKalb High School safe, he said.

Lindsey Hall, principal of DeKalb High School, read a section from the student handbook concerning gang affiliation in school.

“Our goal is not to punish the students, but to talk to them, change their behavior and make parents aware,” she said.

The last speaker, Michael Flores, CEO and executive director of the Ben Gordon Center, 12 Health Services Drive, talked to parents about ways to get children involved in programs that keep them occupied with positive activities.

“What we can do as parents is really looking out for our children, talking to your children about your feelings about your feelings on right or wrong,” he said.

Residents respond

DeKalb resident Bob Rehak has two children attending DHS. He said he showed up to get more information on what is going on in the city.

“I’m more concerned about things proliferating from the incident last week and what people are doing in preparation,” he said.

Dan Jones, a DeKalb resident with four children in the school district, said he came out so he can do whatever he can.

“They gave good info and good advice,” he said. “It’s a great starting point.”

Also present was DeKalb resident Bennetta Stearnes who said she is very interested in what goes on in the community because many of her friends have children in DeKalb schools.

“Information is power and we need to arm ourselves with as much as we can so maybe we can solve some of these issues,” she said.