MSA hosts events to educate on Islam

By Desiree Smith

The Muslim Student Association has a variety of evening lectures planned for Islam Awareness Week.

Starting Monday, various speakers will discuss such topics as women’s rights in Islam and American foreign policy and Jihad. Hiba Abdallah, a senior marketing major and president of MSA, said she thinks most of MSA is looking forward to the open forum for Muslims and non-Muslims.

“It’s a perfect opportunity for Muslims to ask questions and clarify any misconceptions they have,” Abdallah said. “Islam seems to be a hot topic right now.”

What makes the forum different from the rest of the week’s events is the chance to ask questions. The other events have lecturers, and there is not much of a chance to ask questions, she said.

“The forum will be the best opportunity for those wanting to better understand Islam,” she said.

Islam Awareness Week Events

Today

“American Foreign Policy and Jihad” will be discussed by Muhammed Shirazi from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room.

Tuesday

Hudah Ghazal will present “Women’s Rights in Islam: An American’s Perspective” from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room.

Wednesday

Sheikh Shpendim Nadzacku will discuss “God is One — The Message Sent to Moses, Jesus and Muhammad” from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room.

Thursday

An Islam question and answer forum for Muslims and non-Muslims will take place from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room with speaker Sheikh Omar Balouch.

Friday

Sa’ad Quadri will present “Jumm’ah Prayer: Friday Sermon” from 1:15 to 2 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge.