Student groups team for open forum

By Tara Snowden

OPEN FORUM: ‘WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?: AN AGENDA FOR TODAY’S AFRICAN AMERICAN STUDENTS’ [02.21.06]

“We wanted to examine what are some steps that we can take in our own lives, in our own busy lives to have a positive impact here on the campus of NIU.”

Taheerah Abdul-Rahmaan, senior political science major and vice president of the Black Student Union on the reason for holding the public forum

“In order to know what you must do in life, you have to have that positive role model to show you what you’re supposed to do and how you are supposed to live your life according to that lifestyle.”

Brother Henry 3X,

on the topic of being a mentor to the younger generation

“Part of being a leader is putting all you have going on in your life behind you. We are all going have to come out of our comfort zones to do something great.”

Brother Daniel, 7X,

on becoming a leader in the community and on campus

“People need to realize that there are other things on campus besides going to parties, looking pretty and getting that certain guy. As big as this campus is, it is so easy to get lost. I know how to separate playtime from worktime which makes me feel like I have a purpose and I think that is what a lot of students have yet to find.”

Monique Shelton,

freshman psychology major, Mrs. Freshman BSU and E.B.O.N.Y WOMEN member on becoming active on campus at a young age

“We need to look around campus and there are going to be students that stand out, we need to talk to them and get them on our side and get them involved. We need to grab the younger ones while we can before it’s too late.”

Asa Young,

sophomore pre-physical therapy and president of B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. on getting young students involved in student organizations

“It is possible for us to unite. Everybody has been to these types of discussions before. But how many of us are going to leave this room today and face the possible rejection we are going to receive from our actions.”

Brother Henry 3X,

on the unification of the different black student organizations

“There’s not a problem with a senior looking down to a freshman. I look down to many freshman. I believe the more we can unify by showing love to those around us, the more people are going to come and join us in the unification process.”

Brother Henry 3X,