Lobbying for a shorter wait

By Stephanie Kohl

Students apprehensive about Campus Parking Services’ semester rush can rest easy as some renovations made over winter break now make the service lobby more accessible.

A leaking roof, fixed in October, led to renovations and routine maintenance of the Campus Parking Services’ lobby. In addition, walls were replaced and the service counter received a face-lift.

Four service windows now are in place instead of two. The Plexiglas windows that once separated cashiers from customers also have been removed for easier communication.

“I think [the students] will be pleased. One, we’ll be able to service them quicker. If we need to open up more windows, we can,” said Laura Lundelius, coordinator of parking and traffic. “We’re going to have open windows like they do at the Bursar’s [Office] which will hopefully cut down on the noise. I think it will be a big improvement.”

The project cost is estimated between $25,000 and $40,000 and is paid for with money set aside yearly by the university for projects such as this, said Bob Albanese, associate vice president of Finance and Facilities. The exact figure is not yet available.

A temporary service counter has been set up on the main floor of the Holmes Student Center near the computer lab. Students can purchase parking, temporary and visitor permits there. They also can file parking ticket appeals, report lost or stolen parking permits and make ticket payments.

The Campus Parking Services lobby on Normal Road will reopen today. The HSC temporary office will remain open until Jan. 31.

Campus Parking Services employees are optimistic about the changes.

“With four windows instead of two, hopefully we’ll be able to get students in and out quicker in the rush,” said Tom Boken, cashier for Campus Parking Services.