How to get the grade you deserve

By Sherelle Green

With finals starting today, NIU students who believe an instructor graded them unfairly have an opportunity to appeal their grade.

According to the NIU Academic Policies and Procedures Manual, students may appeal grades if they feel the grade they were given was based on criteria other than their performance, if an instructor applied higher standards to a particular student that were not applied to other undergraduate students or if the instructor didn’t follow the procedures listed in the syllabus given earlier in the class.

A student must supply evidence of the unfair grade and the instructor must explain the evidence to the student. The student is able to bring this information to the university ombudsman at any time.

The grade appeal process involves four steps. The student must first meet with the instructor. Second, the student must meet with the chair of the department of the course. Third, the Grade Review Board reviews a petition submitted by the student and finally, the dean of the respective college makes the final decision of the grade appeal, according to the NIU Academic Policies and Procedures Manual.

Deborah Holdstein, chair of the English Department, said the grade appeal process must be used very wisely “as long as the process is done fairly and appropriately, [because] it is very important to the academic integrity of the school.”

Larry Johannessen, director of undergraduate studies in English, has been involved in several grade appeals.

Johannessen said the grade appeal process looks at all sides of the situation and is professional and fair. He said more students should be aware there is something they can do if they feel they have been graded unfairly because without this, students would be at a great disadvantage.

“It ensures fair and equitable grading for all students,” Johannessen said.

Sophomore undecided majors Lisa Mata and Christina Burke agreed the process is fair for students who get judged on criteria other than their performance.

“I think it’s a real good idea if the student is really trying their best and just don’t understand how the instructor gave them the grade they receive,” Mata said.

Burke agreed the grade appeal process helps everyone get the grade they deserve but also hopes students don’t take unnecessary advantage of the opportunity.

“Some teachers give students bad grades for no reason at all,” Burke said. “I like the idea of grade appeals, but students should have a very good reason behind wanting their grade appealed.”