‘Braille-a-Thon’ creates Bibles

By Tom Bukowski

Cheetos, Doritos, Green Day, Bibles and braille were all necessary ingredients for a successful “Braille-a-Thon.”

The Immanuel Lutheran Church and Student Center hosted the event from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday.

The “Braille Team,” which consisted of about a dozen or so Lutheran Student Fellowship team members, made Braille versions of the book of Psalms from the New International Version (with adaptations) of the Bible.

The 70-page Braille books were created using old-fashioned Braille-pressing equipment, which included 70 metal plates, a presser and binding materials. The volunteers worked in a continuously-rotating conveyor belt of human bodies and sweat.

The equipment and materials came from a group of women who make Braille Bibles about three days a week for several hours at a time, said junior journalism major Jennifer Wright, co-president of the organization.

“Some countries don’t allow Bibles to be put into print,” Wright said. “So this is a way to get Bibles into a country because the same rules don’t apply to Bibles in Braille.”

The “Braille Team” started working around 6:30 p.m., making a handful of Braille books in just under an hour. A bell was ceremoniously rung at the completion of every new Bible.

Stephen Lamb, senior industrial engineering major, worked the metal-presser for a large part of the night – “because I have big muscles,” he said.

Every member of the conveyor belt had a job to do.

William Michels, a junior applied math and mechanical engineering double major who has been attending the biannual braille-a-thons for two years now, helped prepare the blank pages for press using a hole puncher, which was a more muscle-orientated task.

“Nimble fingers? Not me,” Michels said.

Freshman physics major Scott Pflaumer, freshman psychology major Amanda Benoit, senior accountancy major Justin Dooley and senior visual communication major Mark Andrews each worked several different stations during the night with equal vigor.

Evangelism, which Wright defines as spreading the word of God, was the name of the game for the “Braille-a-Thon,” she said.

“Peer ministers meet every week for planning activities,” Wright said. “Everyone wanted to Braille!”

The group has been able to create more than 70 books at each “Braille-a-Thon,” but the group put the goal at 50 books this time because another set of activities was planned for the evening.

The Immanuel Lutheran Church and Student Center is located at 511 Russell Road, right behind the Village Commons Bookstore. The center can be reached at 756-6669 or 756-6675.