Provost search committee in the works

By Christopher Norman

A search committee is being formed to find a replacement for departing Executive Vice President and Provost Ivan Legg.

Tom Krepel, assistant to the president, said the formation of the 17-member search committee is in progress and the selection process is clearly defined by the university’s constitution and bylaws.

The bylaws state “the usual procedures for recruitment and appointment of academic administrators and vice presidents shall involve a search committee from the appropriate constituencies. Nominations to the search committee shall attempt to include appropriate representation of women and minority groups.”

NIU President John Peters is asking the constituencies to decide who they want on the committee, Krepel said.

Eight members will be tenured faculty members, with one from the College of

Law. The Library Council also will select a tenured faculty member of the University Libraries.

The rest of the group will include one department chair, one dean to be selected by the Council of Deans, one supportive professional staff member from a student services unit, one representative from the supportive professional staff and one representative from the operating staff.

The president of the Student Association also will choose two undergraduate students.

One law or graduate student also will be selected by the student members of the Graduate Council in conjunction with the president of the Student Bar Association.

Peters has named Paul Stoddard, executive secretary of the University Council, co-chair of the committee.

The committee should be formed by the end of this week, Stoddard said.

Once the committee is formed, it will select an executive search firm from the Illinois Public Higher Education Consortium which will aid in the selection process, help develop a job description and screen and interview candidates.

Legg will retire in June. He said his greatest accomplishment as provost has been to stress the importance of diversity on campus.