Something ‘Wicked’ that way goes

By Tom Bukowski

CAB is giving NIU students the chance to find out really went on in the Land of Oz before Dorothy came into the picture.

An NIU charter bus will leave at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 6 from the Holmes Student Center for the 7:30 p.m. showing of the hit “Wizard of Oz” musical prequel “Wicked” at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago.

Students are encouraged to arrive earlier than 5:30 p.m. to ensure departure on time, said Barbara Simmons, CAB Fine Arts coordinator.

Each of the 39 seats open for NIU students usually cost $54 at the student rate, but NIU students will only have to pay $15 for their ticket – CAB is splitting the bill, Simmons said.

“Wicked is obviously the hottest and most popular musical in a long time,” Simmons said. “So we wanted to give students the chance to see a big Broadway musical.”

“Wicked,” the story of how the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch meet, runs until April 30 at the Ford Center for the Performing Arts in the Oriental Theatre.

It is unfortunate the trip lands in the middle of finals week, but it was the only time CAB could get the show at the price they have it, Simmons said.

The Chicago run of “Wicked” stars “SNL’s” Anna Gasteyer in the role of witch Elphaba and Kate Reinders as witch Glinda.

French grad student Jeff Oman said he is interested in seeing “Wicked,” mostly for one important cast member.

“I love Anna Gasteyer! I really want to see this play,” he said.

Tickets go on sale at the CAB box office Nov. 28. Students only will be allowed to buy one ticket each. Simmons said she predicts tickets will sell out by Wednesday, maybe even Tuesday.

“Be in for an exciting experience,” she said.