Program helps minorities

By Jen Bland

Minority recruitment and retention are two of the main goals NIU tries to achieve through various programs.

Minorities are underrepresented in the ranks of NIU undergraduates and graduates and these programs seek to elevate these numbers at least closer to the percentages these groups hold in the general population.

Educational Services and Programs (ESP) serves roughly 2,000 students at the college level, 450-500 of those students are freshman or recently transferred to NIU. The organization looks at ways to help students in grade seven through age 27.

ESP programs are especially aimed at minority and historically underrepresented students. The purpose of the organization is to recruit and assist students whose high school education did not properly prepare them for college.

These special admissions are available only to freshmen and transferees who are residents of Illinois. Offices run by ESP include Counseling Help and Assistance Necessary for a College Education (CHANCE) and Access to Courses and Careers through Educational Support Services (ACCESS).

ESP helps students who normally would not be admitted into NIU, but show potential by looking beyond the students’ ACT scores and high school performance to leadership qualities and other activities.

Together these programs serve 2,000 students and each has a Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) component.

The CHANCE-PAL program assists NIU freshmen in making the often difficult transition from high school to college, while the ACCESS-PAL program offers students tutoring services.

University Resources for Latinos (URL) offers Latino students at NIU a variety of activities that promote cultural sensitivity. These include speakers, sponsorship of Latino month and a mentor program.

The main goal of URL is to sponsor activities that promote the success of Latino students, but the entire NIU community is encouraged to attend these activities.

URL works with other Latino organizations such as the Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS), Alpha Psi Lambda, Danca Quente and Sigma Lambda Beta to promote retention and help Latino students adjust to life at NIU.

The Center for Latino and Latin American Studies offers programs for students and faculty of NIU and the DeKalb community to broaden knowledge and understanding of Latinos. These include speakers and concerts.

The Center for Latino and Latin American Studies offers a minor in Latin American Studies where students can explore the history and culture of Latino heritage. Regular counseling is offered to students in the minor.

The center also offers programs aimed at enriching the teaching in Latino and Latin American Studies. This includes NIU library collections about Latino studies, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

The Center for Black Studies (CBS) offers a minor in black studies and continually researches and collects data on various aspects of the minority experience.

Some programs sponsored by CBS to stimulate students’ professional interests include the Medical Opportunity Program, Organization for Black Business Students, Pre-Law Opportunity Program, Minorities in Professional and Creative Communication and Black Graduate Student Association.

Along with many academic programs, the center also sponsors social events. These are aimed at offering African-American students ways to meet other students and explore their culture.

Activities include “Chillfest,” “Meet the Firm Nights,” and various speakers. Some culturally based organizations run through CBS include the Black Student Union (BSU), African Student Union, and B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. and S.I.S.T.E.R.S.

BSU offers African-Americans a way to voice political and civic concerns and publishes “Lifeline,” a minority newsletter. B.R.O.T.H.E.R.S. and S.I.S.T.E.R.S. offer alternatives to Greek organizations.