Senate urges parking increase

By Christopher Norman

The Student Association discussed parking issues and made two Senate appointments at Sunday’s meeting.

The first issue of the night was a resolution to urge the university to ease parking restrictions on Stadium Drive East, the road that runs to the east of Douglas Hall and goes around the east side of Huskie Stadium.

John Acardo, CAB president and Senator from District 3, spoke of the need to ease the restrictions. Acardo said students have told him there is no parking near Douglas Hall.

Acardo also said one issue that would go hand in hand with easing parking restrictions would be the need for new signs.

Current parking on Stadium Drive East is available between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. weekdays, with none available on weekends.

The resolution was approved.

Two senators also were appointed. The voting was carried out in the same fashion as the meeting that took place Nov. 6. Each candidate was voted on individually by hand.

Kurt Messer, a sophomore history major, was the first appointee to speak before the Senate.

“There’s a lack of lighting on Greek Row,” Messer said. “I would like to change the situation.”

Messer also said he would like students to be able to put textbooks on their bursar’s account at times other than the beginning of the semester.

The Senate applauded his ideas and described him as very intelligent and a “go-getter.” He was approved.

Mike Orescanin, a sophomore political science major, was the second appointee to speak.

“I am a very good listener and will do what is necessary,” Orescanin said.

Orescanin also said it is vital to ask students what they think about issues. Orescanin already is a member of the SA finance committee.

Jose Perez, Speaker of the Senate, said Senators should vote on Orescanin because of his involvement in the finance committee. Orescanin also was approved.

“I think the senators will be very great assets to the Senate,” said Olivia Nesterowicz, a sophomore journalism major and Senator from District 5. “They will work with the student body, and their passions will help make beneficial changes among the NIU community.”

Perez said there is one more open position on the Senate. He also said there could be more openings on the Senate because of absences. Senators are allowed three absences and may be removed after that.

The last Senate meeting of the year will take place at 6 p.m. Nov. 19 in the Holmes Student Center’s Sky Room.