Mr. Crimson and Cream crowned

By Tom Bukowski

About 180 students filled the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom Saturday night to watch Robert Evans, a senior media studies major, win the crown of Mr. Crimson and Cream.

This was the second time Delta Sigma Theta sorority hosted the pageant, which saw seven contestants this year compared to last year’s five.

The contestants were Preston Payne, a senior mathematics major; Ray Wimbley, Jr., a junior studio arts design major; Kyle McGhee, a sophomore business marketing major; TJ Allen, a sophomore media studies major; second runner-up Kiarri Andrews, a senior broadcast journalism major and runner-up Andrew Bonsu, a senior media studies major.

The contestants were judged on the criteria of presentation, personality and outfit choice. They also were critiqued based on a talent show presentation, the selection of their personal heroes and where they see themselves in 15 years.

Runner-up Bonsu said the primary purpose of Mr. Crimson and Cream is uniting the NIU community and removing the separation between different groups of students.

“Though it’s gotten better, the separation between different groups is still there,” Bonsu said.

Winner Evans chose Jesus Christ as his hero and performed the R. Kelly song “Happy People” for his talent.

He said the first thing he will do as Mr. Crimson and Cream is act as a role model for NIU students.

Derrick Smith, academic counselor for the Center for Black Studies and one of the judges at the pageant, said he and the other two judges chose Evans because of his stage presence and because he stuck out more than other contestants.

All of the contestants were good, so it was hard to decide, he said.

Senior psychology major Adreean Bobo said she thought the wrong man won the pageant.

“I liked contestant number three, Kyle McGhee, because he had the best presence. I also liked T.J. Allen. He looked really smooth,” Bobo said.

Evans danced with the Delta Sigma Theta Miss Big and Beautiful Pageant-winner Raquel Wells after being crowned Mr. Crimson and Cream. Attendees then united in dance and filled up most of the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

Eligibility requirements for the Mr. Crimson and Cream contestants were having at least a 2.0 GPA, being at least a sophomore and being involved with on-campus groups and activities, said senior nursing major Kelli Nickols, a pageant staff member and Delta Sigma Theta member.

Delta Sigma Theta president Jarquetta Egeston said the Mr. Crimson and Cream pageant gives the sorority a connection to the NIU black male population and provides a service for the NIU community.

Mr. Crimson and Cream is a role model for the NIU campus, Egeston said. His duties include attending various sorority and club events and providing 30 hours of community service.

The name of the pageant comes from the sorority’s signature colors.

Egeston thought the pageant went smoothly and as planned.

“The contestants were nervous, but since most of them knew a lot of people from the crowd, there was a really nice vibe throughout their performances,” she said.

Delta Sigma Theta member Erin Thomas choreographed the pageant and was congratulated by many for her hard work.

Proceeds from the Mr. Crimson and Cream Pageant will go to the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund and to UNAID, Nickols said.