Java 101 plans hurricane relief benefit concert

By Tom Bukowski

The mood inside Java 101, 901 Lucinda Ave., during the Labor Day weekend was one of anticipation, as staff and crew prepared for Friday’s Hurricane Katrina Benefit music concert.

All proceeds from the benefit, or “Katrina Kash,” will go directly to the American Red Cross, which is spearheading the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts on the American gulf coast, said Mike FitzGerald, owner and operator of Java 101.

According to FitzGerald, 50 cents of every mochaccino and smoothie sold during the benefit will go directly to the American Red Cross. Patrons are also encouraged to donate out-of-pocket at the benefit, with a suggested donation of $5 or more, FitzGerald said.

The benefit will take place from opening to close at Java 101 Friday. Live bands are scheduled between 12:30 and 11:30 p.m. Friday, said Paul Sigrist, Java 101 personnel manager.

Nine bands so far have signed up to perform, Sigrist said. The mostly local bands include a female singer/songwriter that goes by the alias Panda, the rock/punk band Furious George, the bluesy Itches and indie rock/pop acts Kitty, Skinny Paul and Chad Clay. Bands Coustic Blend, Poon Devils and Metermaid, which have developed a strong cult following through touring, will be performing acoustic sets at the benefit.

Students can help Java 101 raise money for the Hurricane Katrina relief fund without attending the event by donating money to the multiple Java 101 representatives who will be dispersed across campus Friday. The representatives will carry empty milk cartons to collect donations, Sigrist said. Milk cartons also will be found at about 50 percent of the businesses on campus, Slade said.

Radio station B-95 and the local Castle Bank have helped Java 101 prepare and advertise for the event, FitzGerald said. Java 101 has seen a lot of outside help for the benefit, from neighboring businesses to students coming off the street to pledge help and time for the benefit, Sigrist said.

Donations can be made in either cash or check form, FitzGerald said.

Those interested in performing are encouraged to contact Jeff Slade, Java 101 booking agent, at 815-793-0734 as soon as possible. The benefit is tightly booked, but if the turnout is strong enough the benefit might continue into Saturday, Sigrist said.

Interested parties not musically inclined can do other things at the benefit, such as perform a comedy show or do poem readings, FitzGerald said.