Roommate trouble can be resolved

By Stephanie Kohl

Imagine being plucked from your home and forced to live with a complete stranger for nine months, as well as managing class and possibly work schedules.

This is a common scene known all too well by many freshmen. Roommates meet from all walks of life and must negotiate with each other. Sometimes the end result is good, other times it is not.

Fortunately, NIU offers a wide variety of services for students who have problems getting along with their roommates. Everything from talking to community advisers in the residence halls to assistance from the Office of the Ombudsman to Students’ Legal Assistance is available.

The Office of the Ombudsman offers walk-in assistance for students.

“Students can come to [the office] for any problem they may have at the university,” said Mary Ann Erickson, program services specialist for the Office of the Ombudsman.

The ombudsman offers students the opportunity for a consultation with someone in the office to address their problem. Sometimes students will sit down with a mediator if both parties agree and sometimes just write out agreements for them to abide by.

“We help [students] develop and understand what their options are and help them work out conversation strategies for communicating with their roommate,” Erickson said.

Students agree communication is a large part of getting along with roommates in such close quarters.

“Communication is the key,” said Jaquita Logan, a senior communication major and Neptune resident. “If your roommate does something you don’t like, let them know.”

By letting roommates know there is a problem early, escalation of the problem can be prevented.

“Freshman year, my roommate and I didn’t communicate and little things just got to be big problems,” said Robert Ramsey, a junior applied sociology major and Neptune resident.

Students also may find themselves having problems with roommates in an apartment.

“Much of what we talk to students about is the financial stuff within an apartment situation,” said Don Henderson Jr., director of Students’ Legal Assistance. “Since most students living in apartments are not on separate leases, financial worries can be a big problem.”

Students’ Legal Assistance can provide mediation between roommates with the goal being to explain consequences and offer solutions to the problems, Henderson said. They will not, however, represent one student against another.

“My roommates and I get along fine,” said Ryan Carley, a senior biology major and apartment dweller. “I think it’s important to just be considerate with shared living space. Keep it clean because everyone is paying for it.”

Students’ Legal Assistance offers a variety of tips for getting along with roommates, known as the Roommate Survival Guide. This can be accessed by visiting www.niu.edu/legal/survival.html.