Resources help students

By Mary Martin

The new-student experience is never more intimidating than when entering a public university for the first time.

Fortunately, there are countless resources available to the new student – freshman or transfer -while making this painful transition.

Unfortunately, these resources are so many, and so scattered at times, finding the right person to ask can be a greater challenge than the question itself.

From application to the completion of a student’s first semester, every question has an appropriate place to find answers.

The Office of Admissions is the place to go for applications, financial aid information, maps, walking tours and the NIU guidebook.

“We’re sort of a general information office to help students decide whether or not they want to attend NIU,” said Crystal Worrell, senior assistant director of admissions.

The admissions office does not, however, offer advice to students who have been admitted to the school already. After completing the application and acceptance process, the orientation or advising offices would be the place to go with questions, Worrell said. The orientation session is the next important date after getting accepted to Northern Illinois University.

Ideally, summer orientation is when fall schedules are created and solidified, according to Michael Broshears, director of the Academic Advising Center.

Academic planning is a part of the orientation process, and the recently opened Academic Advising Center is now a part of that process.

“The plan is to help [students] leave the day they come for orientation with a schedule prepared,” Broshears said.

This process can be especially painful for the student who hasn’t decided on a major, but the Academic Advising Center offers strategies and advice throughout the semester at both their main office in the Campus Life Building, Room 120, and the satellite office which will be open in Grant Towers South, attached to the tutoring center in the lower level. Broshears suggests that students see an academic adviser regularly, and the sooner the better.

“This satellite office is open to any student, you don’t have to live in Grant,” Broshears said. The center can be reached online at www.advisingcenter.niu.edu or by phone at 815-753-2573.

Once a student’s fall schedule is determined, the book-buying task must begin.

On campus, there are two bookstores available for purchasing textbooks; the Village Commons Bookstore and the University Bookstore.

Both outlets offer online, phone or walk-in orders. The University Bookstore opens its online ordering after August 1, when they have finished with sales of summer session books.

Lee Blankenship, owner of the VCB, 901 Lucinda Ave., said the books for fall semester are being ordered right now.

“Toward the end of summer we have more books on the shelves,” Blankenship said. He recommends students stop by the textbook counter to inquire about the status of their books for next fall.

Students can start placing online orders at the VCB right now, but many books are still on order from suppliers and may not be available until after the summer session begins, Blankenship said.

With books out of the way, new students are faced with the daunting task of getting moved in to their respective living situations. Incoming freshmen or other students who will be making a residence hall their new home, can get many questions answered at the NIU Student Housing and Dining Services Web site, www.niu.edu/housing.

Move-in day for the residence halls is August 18 and the first day of classes is August 22.