Starbucks to open on Sycamore

By Mary Martin

Frappucinos will soon be available in DeKalb when a Starbucks opens on Sycamore Road.

“The number of Starbucks you have is one of the social indicators of how well your community is doing,” said Paul Rasmussen, director of economic development for the city of DeKalb. “You really can’t get one until your community (population) reaches a certain number.”

The store should be open in the next two months, Rasmussen said. Starbucks is opening in a pre-existing building, the old Boston Market location, and will require only interior renovation.

Kaneisha Johnson, a manager at the Holmes Student Center’s Coffee Corner and a senior sociology major, is not worried about Starbucks affecting the store’s business.

“Students who are usually on campus would not drive all the way out there just for Starbucks,” Johnson said.

The Coffee Corner gets the majority of its business from students on campus and is closed after 5:30 p.m. and on weekends, Johnson said. It does not serve frappucinos – they are not licensed by Starbucks to make them.

Johnson, who used to work at a Starbucks and drinks four cups of coffee a day, said the Starbucks location is all wrong.

“They already have Barnes and Noble and Caribou out there, who are very student friendly – while Starbucks is more corporate.” Johnson said.

The competition from other national chain coffee shops is not the only consideration, senior sociology major Lisa Mayse-Lillig said.

“They can only be taking business away from locally owned coffee shops,” Mayse-Lillig said. “In the last semester we’ve had two local coffee places shut down–Mr. Crumbs and The House. It’s unfortunate.”