Trio has open-door policy

By Rachel Gorr

With music always playing and the door always open, three NIU freshmen know how to have a good time.

Freshman marketing major Matt Demaj, freshman finance major Brian Masterson and freshman business major Ryan Pryde have known one another since childhood, so when they found themselves going to NIU, the choice to room together was obvious.

“I’ve known Pryde since preschool and I’ve known Demaj since fifth grade,” Masterson said. “Plus, we all grew up in the same city.”

The trio didn’t have a problem getting used to one another. The door to the boys’ triple at 562 Douglas C is always open – a fact they feel makes their room cooler than others.

“Every time you come in here, people are just chillin’ out,” Demaj said. “You have people hanging out, people playing Playstation, people doing homework.”

Freshman psychology major Shannon McDonough said she enjoys hanging out in the guys’ room on a regular basis.

“These guys are [like] my roommates,” McDonough said. “I keep them in check. Someone has to do it.”

The triple room houses some prized possessions. Hanging on the wall above Demaj’s bed is a large aluminum “Molson Ice” sign given to Demaj from one of his graduating fraternity brothers. In front of the sign sits Demaj’s motorcycle helmet he uses when he rides his 2002 Yamaha R6.

Also near and dear to his heart is the Jesus plaque that hangs above the desk.

“We do have Jesus looking out for us, though,” said Demaj, whose mother gave him the sign.

Masterson keeps a mini collection all his own. Ever the fashion fiend, he keeps a good selection of shoes to keep up with the styles.

“I have a lot of them at home too,” Masterson said. “I like to color-coordinate them with my clothes.”

The triple is known be one of the loudest rooms around. The trio is always playing music, Pryde said. Its boisterous nature has certain perks.

“It is a quiet floor and we are the loudest people on it,” Demaj said. “If we want it quiet, we just have to get quiet and it’s all good.”

The guys are also known to pull pranks on other people on their floor. Aside from spraying pop all over two of their floormates’ door, they are also prone to soaking people on their birthday.

Despite its closeness, the trio will not be returning for a second year together. Next year, Demaj will be living at the Pi Kappa Alpha house, Masterson at University Plaza and Pryde on another floor.

The guys, however, remain as tight as ever.

Floormate Tracy Brdar has taken notice.

“I first knew that they loved each other when I walked in on Demaj reading Pryde a bedtime story after tucking him in,” Brdar said.