Daughter of Malcolm X speaks at HSC

By Tatiana Lopez

Ilyasah Shabazz, daughter of Malcolm X, challenged NIU students’ knowledge of Malcom’s ancestral history during her speech Wednesday night.

The 12th Annual African American Leadership Conference welcomed Shabazz in addition to many other speakers and events scheduled to last through Saturday.

Shabazz spoke to students and faculty in the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom about topics such as the Western school system failing to educate children about African history. In addition, Shabazz gave insight into what life was like being the daughter of one of America’s most revered and controversial social speakers.

“I was in love with him as a child,” Shabazz said about her father. “He was ‘Daddy,’ and our house came alive in a very special way whenever he walked through the door.”

Many NIU students responded well to Shabazz’s anecdotes.

“Her parents were able to share their experiences with her,” said Jarquetta Egeston, a senior business administration major. “For some reason, we get away from where our people have come from and she is directly connected to the history of the struggles of black people.”

While speaking about her concern for the future of the African American community, Shabazz regaled the audience with passages from her book “Growing Up X.”

Shabazz also addressed the need for the cultivation of pride and education among African American people regarding their origin.

“I’ve never heard her speak before and I’m interested to hear what she has to say,” senior management major Tim Jones said . “Just coming from her background I’d like to hear about her experiences with her father and her mother, who she is and what she’s about.”