Telefund asks grads to donate for project

By Laurel Marselle

The NIU Foundation has a goal of $5,000 for the graduating senior class of 2005 as its senior challenge.

The graduating senior class of 2005 is being paired up with the reunion class of 1955 to raise money for an outdoor bench at the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center, said Shannon Taylor, assistant director of development operations.

The senior class challenge has been in effect since 2000 and past challenges included support for endowed scholarships, gifts for the convocation center and support for the campus safety enhancement initiative, which provided for videos and seminars on campus safety for students, Taylor said.

Student telefund callers contact graduating seniors to talk about giving donations. After pledges are recorded, a follow-up “thank you” mailing is sent to students along with an envelope to send in their donation. Students may defer their donation for four months, Taylor said.

Taylor said the challenge is important for students to give back to their alma mater. She also said private corporations and foundations look at support from alumni as one factor to consider for grants to universities.

Michelle Messina, a senior communication major, said she thought this time in her college career isn’t the best to be asking for money instead of when she has a steady job.

Rachel Doornbosch, a senior communication major who recently received a call from the telefund, said she understood why they call the seniors at this time.

“They have to get us before we graduate to make us aware of it,” Doornbosch said. “But most of us are still broke college students and I don’t think many will be donating right now.”

For more information about the challenge, visit www.niufoundation.org.