Work group forms new Greek policies

By Laurel Marselle

A work group comprised of Greeks and university officials will make a second attempt to present a new social policy for the Greek community and potentially lift the moratorium on social events with alcohol Friday night.

The moratorium will remain until the three Greek councils – College Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council and National Panhellenic Council – endorse a new social policy, said Chris Juhl, activities adviser for fraternity and sorority affairs.

Brian Hemphill, vice president of student affairs, will also have to approve the changes, Juhl said.

Michelle Bringas, acting director of student involvement and leadership development, said immediately after the stabbing on Greek row, a work group was formed to change the Greek social policy. This incident was only one in a line of incidents that caused the group to form, Juhl said.

The work group is comprised of two students from every council, an adviser from each council and a university and city police officer, Chris Juhl and the Greek affairs representative from the Student Association, Bringas said. The work group is chaired by Michael Coakley, assistant vice president for student life.

The work group has proposed changes in security costs for events and the number of events Greeks are allowed to have, Coakley said.

None of the Greek councils endorsed the first draft of the social policy, Juhl said. The work group then gathered a list of concerns from each council and went to revise the policy again. This exchange will continue until an agreement is reached.

Neither Juhl nor Bringas recalled a moratorium such as this being placed at NIU before, they said.

Bringas said she had some feedback from Greeks who tried developing ideas for alcohol-free events while the moratorium stands, she said.

Sara Larrazabal, a sophomore undecided major, said her organization, Alpha Phi Gamma, still has social events such as a “mini olympics.” She said they have relay races, football and a cookout, which “is nice because it proves you don’t need alcohol to have a good time.” Larrazabal also said Greeks with chapter houses might feel more impacted by the moratorium than those without.

Ausra Brooks, a senior physical education major, said the atmosphere and everyday happenings of Greek life have been different. She said she “feels like everything has been delayed,” as far as events go, because they haven’t been able to have a formal or mixers.