Alumni Association allows graduates to stay connected

By Beth Kulzer

The NIU Alumni Association is one way for graduating students to remain active in the NIU community.

Since the 1930s, the Alumni Association has planned and executed many events to both honor alumni and retain a connection between the school and its graduates.

Bob Fioretti, president of the association, said the mission of the organization is to keep people active, involved and energized about what is happening at NIU.

“We are important because we help keep in contact and energize all alum[ni], and pave the way for future students,” Fioretti said. “The Alumni Association provides a social setting for networking and meeting people, and is a way for older graduates to give back to their school.”

One of the ways the Alumni Association keeps graduates connected is by hosting a wide array of events.

In addition to hosting receptions at Chicago Cubs games, the Alumni Association also holds annual cultural events at downtown Chicago locations, award dinners for distinguished alumni, a homecoming event, Grad Bash and many more.

“We also host four trips a year,” Fioretti said. “In the past we’ve gone to Rome, Paris, Thailand and Belgium, just to name a few.”

With only five staff members keeping the organization flowing, the work of the Alumni Association should be applauded, Fioretti said.

“We are one of the smallest alumni organizations,” Fioretti said. “We are also one of the most active associations in the state.”

That work comes with the knowledge that past alumni will be able to retain a sense of school pride throughout the years.

“I think it’s important to be able to give back and stay connected to our university,” Fioretti said. “The Alumni Association gives alum[ni] the chance to consider the intellectual promise of the campus.”

Lee McCauley, the executive director of the association, thinks it is important for graduates to keep in touch with their university.

“The university provides graduates with the key to the rest of their lives and for that they should recall their school years fondly.”

Staying connected is not hard.

“There are lots of ways you can do it,” McCauley said. “Come to alumni events. If you stay connected, you will continue to communicate your school pride.”

Jack Tierney, an active member of the Alumni Association, said students should take advantage of the events.

“You can’t beat the price,” Tierney said. “Most of the events are free. They are also a great way to stay connected to the university.”