Students, faculty honored

By Tatiana Lopez

The accomplishments of students and faculty were recognized by the NIU minority community Thursday.

The Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities held its 27th annual Friendships Abloom Spring Luncheon where two individuals and one group were honored for efforts toward improving the quality of college life for minority students.

The luncheon was open to all students and faculty members.

“I always attend the Presidential Commission,” said Regina Curry, counselor for the CHANCE program.

Curry’s daughter, LaMetra Curry, who is working toward a Ph.D. at NIU, was one of the three recipients of the Deacon Davis Diversity Award.

In addition to her contributions to organizations to which LaMetra belongs, her most notable achievement to date has been the origination of Operation Bookbag, a program she started that offers transportation for parents to pick up their children from school.

“She has lots more energy than I,” Curry said of her daughter. “And it’s just wonderful when you do something that you love, and someone says ‘thank you.’”

When chairman of the Presidential Commission LeRoy Pernell called LaMetra’s name as a recipient of the prestigious award, her mother beamed with pride and love, and called out “Isn’t she beautiful!” as LaMetra approached the podium to receive her award.

“I am honored to have received this award for Operation Bookbag,” LaMetra said. “I just wanted to … promote diversity. I had no idea that it would be as successful as it has been.”

Also awarded for their contributions to NIU were James Brunson, assistant director for residential life, and the Faculty Development and Structural Design Center.