University needs to better manage alcohol problems

NIU should use more effective means of dealing with alcohol violations.

University Police currently are employing more alcohol education programs and fewer alcohol-related arrests, according to a March 2 article in the Northern Star. Doing this, of course, makes the arrest numbers go down, thereby making the school look better on paper.

Less crime, right?

In reality, the number of total alcohol violations has gone up significantly. The number of alcohol arrests made by UP went from 98 in 2001 to 30 in 2003, but the number of non-arrest alcohol violations jumped from 156 in 2001 to 553 in 2003. The violators who are not arrested are referred to the Judicial Office for counseling.

But the numbers suggest the counseling is not working. For example, officers have the option of requiring students to complete educational programs about alcohol on MyStudentBody.com.

However, students could just click through the pages without really absorbing the information.

An even more important issue with the policy is that university students are adults. As such, they deserve adulthood’s rights as well as its consequences.

In the real world, there is no such thing as a judicial referral. And not having to face the results of their choices could hurt students in the long run, as they may keep drinking irresponsibly until something really bad happens.

One possible solution is to require students to hand over money for violations. Fines are a proven deterrent for unwanted behavior.

It’s time for a better solution to alcohol problems on campus. Fewer arrests look good for the school, but it doesn’t help students in the end.

Agree? Disagree? Contact us at

[email protected].