CAB candidates win uncontested race

By Gerold Shelton

John Acardo, Campus Activities Board president-elect, and Adam Novotney, CAB vice president of finance-elect, joked around Wednesday night about being on “pins and needles” concerning their elections.

All four CAB candidates, including winners Margreth Celestino, vice president of programming-elect, and Keynice Dixon, vice president of administration-elect, ran unopposed in the first election since CAB installed its new constitution in December.

While there was a write-in slot on the ballot, no write-in candidates registered their name with the Student Association by the deadline. Therefore, any write-in votes for CAB positions would not count, according to the SA election by-laws.

“We certainly welcome competition,” Acardo said. “But we were able to focus on our platform. We still went out to student groups and got our message out.”

Acardo said his administration wants to focus on bringing larger, better-known acts to campus, but still maintain the smaller specialty acts as well.

He also wants mid-level funding, removed from CAB’s budget in 2002, reinstated so the board can focus funding to help campus organizations better promote their events.

In 2002, then SA president Kevin Miller used a line item veto to remove $83,943 from CAB’s funding. An attempt to overturn the veto in 2003 failed in a vote by the SA Senate.

Funding events such as the Latino Comedy Jam and fashion shows sponsored by campus organizations also will be a focus this year, Acardo said.

“We are planning to respond on a daily or weekly basis to get what students are voicing for at the time,” Acardo said.

Novotney said in the past, CAB has had an adversarial relationship with the Convocation Center, and that should change now.

For Acardo, the outgoing SA vice president, becoming CAB president will be “a new challenge.”

“Being involved as the SA vice president, I got to learn how campus groups are structured,” Acardo said. “Running CAB, this will affect every group on campus.”