State mobile facility to visit NIU

By Tatiana Lopez

NIU students and faculty can renew their driver’s licenses, state IDs and purchase the annual vehicle stickers soon on campus.

The Illinois Secretary of State’s office, in conjunction with Holmes Student Center administrators, will bring a state mobile facility to NIU on a regular monthly basis to students and faculty from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. beginning Feb. 28 in the Diversions Lounge.

Marty Mulcahey, field liaison for the Illinois Secretary of State’s office, is in charge of orchestrating the facility.

“What this will do is bring the services of the Secretary of State’s office directly to NIU students and faculty,” Mulcahey said. “It will provide convenience for NIU students. We know it’s an inconvenience for students to go to our facilities so far off of campus.”

Norm Jenkins, assistant director of the Holmes Student Center, is working with the Secretary of State’s Office to bring the timesaving convenience of a mobile DMV to the NIU campus.

“This mobile drivers license unit represents an important service we’re bringing for students and staff,” Jenkins said. “Instead of going to the other side of town, which can be very inconvenient for less mobile students, it’s just a walk across campus.”

The program is scheduled to run on campus two days a month, with the exception of summer months. Depending on the success of the program, administrators will schedule future dates.

“I went to NIU, and at the time I didn’t have a car,” Mulcahey said. “So, I know how inconvenient it is to go to the other side of town to get these things taken care of.”