TA, student relationships frowned upon

By Tarciano Figueiredo

Although considered unorthodox, cases of teaching assistants dating students arise in a large university such as NIU.

Cases of TAs dating students have arisen in the past, said Melissa McCarter, an English graduate student and TA for the Department of English.

McCarter, who teaches English 104, said she would never let someone cross the border between student and instructor.

“I don’t cast judgments on other [TAs] if they do it but personally I don’t believe in that,” McCarter said.

One of the reasons a relationship is discouraged is because it is impossible for a TA to grade a student properly if there is any kind relationship, McCarter said. There is a conflict of interest.

McCarter said she has not faced a situation where a student propositioned her because of her professionalism.

“I don’t send signals that it is okay,” McCarter said.

Alejandra Marin, a freshman business management major, said the idea of a TA and a student becoming involved sexually or emotionally is considered awkward.

NIU has two different types of TAs: those who teach a class and those who assist the professor.

While it may seem like the idea of TAs dating students is problematic, there are no rules to prohibit it.

NIU does not have any rules about TAs dating students, said Ferald Bryan, director of COMS 100 assistant professors. During training, however, it is made explicitly clear how problematic a TA and student relationship can be.

It is hard enough to grade a paper because it is so subjective, Bryan said. A relationship is not a good thing to add.

Bryan, who has worked as a director for seven years, has heard of TAs who end up dating students after a course has ended. Bryan has also counseled TAs who have been experiencing sexual tension.

“If a TA feels bad about it, they usually come to me and talk about it,” he said.

There are, nevertheless, consequences for TAs who date students. TAs may not be rehired because of lack of professionalism, Bryan said.

Most of the TAs who graduate from the department of communication’s graduate program try to find a teaching position in a community college around the area. Not having a good letter of recommendation could potentially damage their career, Bryan said.