NIU campus in state of dusty disarray

By Daniel McMahon

Construction on the NIU campus is in high gear as students near the end of summer school.

Work continues near Williston, Lowden, McMurry and Altgeld Halls, and work has begun between Stevens and Gabel Hall causing the periodic closing of University Circle Drive to Carroll Avenue.

Steamline work between Gabel Hall and the Chick Evans Field House might limit access to the field house parking.

Faraday II and the multi-level parking structure also still are undergoing work. Because of this construction, Lincoln Terrace between Normal Road and Carroll Avenue has been made into a one-way street east and Locust Street has become a one-way street west.

According to Assistant City Engineer Joel Maurer, work on Lucinda Avenue is on schedule for mid-November completion.

“We are about ready to switch from the south to the north side of Lucinda, although direction will remain in the westbound direction,” he said.

The Lucinda Avenue bridge has been opened up for traffic.

The project involves the widening of the road and the installation of landscaping at a median and turn lanes at all major intersections. Street lights and traffic signals will be installed as well as bituminous road upon completion of Lucinda Avenue.

Maurer said Fareview Drive also is undergoing work at the intersection on Seventh Street. At this intersection, only local traffic will be allowed access.

Other construction projects at NIU include work on the new Engineering Building, which has caused the entire area north of Anderson Hall to be fenced. This construction will affect parking on Garden Road, and truck traffic along the road is expected to increase.

Although the campus entry project construction has begun at Castle Drive, the drive itself will not be closed to traffic. The fencing, however, might increase automobile traffic as well as sidewalk traffic.