Talib Kweli performance to finish off CAB concert run

By Nick Swedberg

An April 13 concert featuring hip-hop artist Talib Kweli signals the end of the Campus Activities Board concert programming.

Restructuring of the entertainment-providing organization has resulted in the elimination of the CAB concerts coordinator position, which was once responsible for campus programming.

The role of programming will now be bestowed upon the existing student coordinators, although many of their job descriptions do not call for setting up concerts, CAB President Matt Holder said. Holder, who took office last year amid controversy over changes in executive election policies, said CAB has a restructured budget in which committees no longer have individual financing, but will draw from a central $500,000 reserve.

Four other new coordinators this year, whose job descriptions mandate programming of some kind, each have the option to put on concerts and can do so based on a month-by-month budgetary system, Holder said. In addition to planning their own events, coordinators will work “hand-in-hand” with the Convocation Center, although the upcoming concert will take place in the Holmes Student Center Duke Ellington Ballroom.

“He’s [Kweli] a different kind of music,” CAB Concerts Coordinator Bridget Brennan said. She describes his music as more emotional and more heartfelt than other bigger-name hip-hop acts.

Kweli’s sophomore album, The Beautiful Struggle, hit No. 14 on the Billboard charts and received critical acclaim after debuting in September.

“[Kweli] has a strong underground base,” Brennan said.

Kweli worked with artist Mos Def when he was with the Black Star record label, and his recent release features rapper Mary J. Blige and producer Kanye West.

An opening act has yet to be set, but CAB is looking for local artists to fill in for its final show.

“I think it’s a good concert to go out on,” Brennan said.