Vice Provost: NIU needs better data to track retention

By Melissa Blake

NIU needs better data to track student retention, said Vice Provost Earl Seaver.

In 2002 and 2003, freshmen were interviewed to gather data on why they were leaving. The results of these surveys are just now becoming available, he said.

Two hundred forty-one freshmen out of the 3,032 enrolled dropped out after fall 2002, said Dan House, director of institutional research. This is the most recent year for which numbers were available.

Officials will not be able to determine how many students dropped out after last semester for at least a few more weeks, Seaver said.

“Very few freshmen leave after the first semester,” House said.

Ninety-one to 93 percent of freshmen return for the spring semester, and the numbers remain consistent year after year, House said.

Students who drop out are divided into three categories: those who are academically dismissed, those who drop out and have a GPA less than 2.0 and those who leave and are in good academic standing.

The majority of those who leave are not having academic trouble, and there is no formal procedure for dropping out.

“If a student wants to quit, they just quit,” Seaver said.

Drop-out rates have not affected the residence halls, said Michael Coakley, assistant vice president for student life.

“We build that into the projected occupancy [for the year],” Coakley said.

He said residence halls can house up to 6,200 students, but fewer students live there in the spring because of academic dismissals and withdrawals.

If students drop out, they are no longer held to their contract and will face any penalties. However, if they leave for break and come back after the semester starts to retrieve their things, they will be charged a daily rate. Rates vary depending on the type of room, Coakley said.

For example, the daily rate for a double room in Grant Towers is $14.56.

Official numbers for spring 2005 residence hall occupancy were not available as of press time.