Speaker must helping hand in Classic

By Maria Tortorello

Speech, the lead singer of Arrested Development, had to reschedule his visit to NIU due to another required rehearsal.

The performer originally was supposed to speak at 8 p.m. on Sept. 1 in the Sandburg Auditorium of the Holmes Student Center.

However, the group is required by contract to attend the MTV Music Awards’ dress rehearsal that night.

Speech is rescheduled to talk to NIU students at 8 p.m. on Sept. 9 in the Sandburg Auditorium.

Miriam Sutton, speakers coordinator for Campus Activities Board, said the university has no hard feelings.

“There is no problem on the part of the university,” Sutton said. “We could be understanding and flexible.”

Bob Fitzgerald, director of college events for the International Talent Association, said there was no problem on the part of CAB’s responsibilities.

“We felt bad because they did everything right,” Fitzgerald said. “They should be commended.”

Fitzgerald said Speech will be speaking to the students about racial agreement through nonviolent acts, while maintaining diversity.

“He will be talking about how each of us needs to educate and civilize ourselves to work with one another,” he said.

NIU is the first university Speech will speak at on his college tour.

Although the vocalist will not be singing, Fitzgerald and CAB promises the presentation will be interesting.

“It will be a straight lecture,” Fitzgerald said. “The way Speech presents it will be very entertaining, though. It’s going to be amazing.”

“We promise it will be an event that will not soon be forgotten,” Sutton said.

The event is open to everyone and is free of charge.